Chocolate Barfi Fiji Style | Chocolate Milk Barfi Recipe
Makes about 15 pieces
- 2 cups full fat milk powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons liquid milk or heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- Sprinkles or nuts to decorate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- In a mixing bowl, add milk powder, and the ghee in 2-3 increments. Mix well by rubbing in between your palms after each addition.
- Add the liquid milk, 1 tbsp at a time and mix well. Mix until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Sift cocoa powder into milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Quickly pulse milk & cocoa powder mixture in a food processor to break up any lumps and to mix thoroughly. Alternatively, you could shift or strain using a strainer. Set aside after blending well.
- Line a baking pan or tray of your choice with parchment paper or grease with ghee.
- To prepare the sugar syrup, add sugar and water to a heavy bottom pan and bring to a boil. Once the syrup boils, turn your heat to medium and let boil, stirring occasionally, for approximately 6-8 minutes. Start checking your syrup at the 5-minute mark. The syrup should be 1 thread consistency or about 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115C) on a candy thermometer. Please view video for a visual.
- Once your syrup is ready, start adding it slowly to your dry mix. Don’t pour it all in at once, as you may not need it all (I’ve almost always used it all). The mixture will start to form a dough.
- Quickly transfer to your prepared tray and flatten smooth. Add desired sprinkles and push into barfi with the back of a cup or spatula.
- Let cool at room tempreture for approximately 30 minutes before scoring your barfi your desired pieces. Let cool completely before taking out of pan.
I used a container that is 7.5 inches wide, 5.5 inches deep and 1.75 inches high.