Fiji Sot Drink | Turmeric Milk Drink For Mothers | Lactation Drink for Mothers
2 inch piece ginger, grated (adrak)
2 inch piece cinnamon (dalchini)
1 tsp fennel seeds (sauf)
1-2 cloves (lawang)
4 black peppercorns (whole) (golmirch)
10 cardamom pods (ellaichi)
1/4 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds * (methi) (see note below)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 oz water
12 oz good quality full fat milk
1 tsp ghee (good quality)
sweetener to taste (you can use sugar or honey)
- In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast all of the spices *excluding turmeric and ginger. Let cool.
- Crush all dry spices into a coarse powder, either using a mortar pestle or a spice grinder
- In a medium sauce pan, add water, ginger and spices and boil for 5 mins of medium low heat.
- Add ghee and turmeric and stir well.
- Add milk and bring to boil. Simmer for lowest heat for 10-15 minutes ensuring that the mixture doesn't overflow.
- Add sweetener of your choice, turn off heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Strain mixture using a fine sieve strainer and serve. You can garnish with freshly grated nutmeg, saffron strands, or cardamom powder if you'd like. This makes two 8 oz servings or one large serving.