Pulao Masala Fiji Style | Homemade Palao Masala Recipe | Fijian Pulao Masala Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 4 star anise
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon whole cardamom pods
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon broken cinnamon sticks (7 inch piece)
- 4-5 dry chilis
- 1 mace/javatri (optional)
- Heat a heavy bottom pan on medium/medium high heat
- Once pan is hot, add black peppercorn, star anise, whole nutmeg, and whole cardamom pods.
- Roast these larger spices for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently to avoid burning the spices or uneven growing.
- Add all other spices and roast for an additional 5-6 minutes or until the coriander seeds turn brown. Be sure to keep stirring frequently to avoid burning your spices.
- Turn off heat and keep stirring for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the spices to a open tray or plate and let cool completely.
- Once cool, grind the spices into a powder using a spice grinder or coffee grinder.
- Let spice mix cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Will last 3-6 months if stored properly. If you don't use this spice frequently, you can store it in a airtight container in the fridge to increase it shelf life to 1 year.