Vegan Milk Barfi - Fiji Style
One of the hardest items to "veganize" are all milk dishes and milk barfi from Fiji is just that. Its basically milk and sugar. I have been on a quest to make a vegan version of the barfi because my daughter cannot have milk due to an allergy and I am so happy with the results of this version! It has the same mouth-feel and the taste is very close! You don't really taste the coconut flavor too much and the flour helps mellow out the flavors and soak up some of the extra oil that coconut milk powder tends to create. I've used the same techinque as the classic Fiji Style Milk Barfi and it works with this mix. I really hope you give this one a try, even if you aren't vegan :)
- 1 lb (454 grams) Coconut Milk Powder
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1-2 tsp cardamom powder (ellaichi) [adjust as needed]
- For Syrup:
- 1.5-2 cups sugar [adjust as needed]
- 1 cup water
- Sprinkles for decorations
- Add flour to a pan over medium-low heat. Dry roast for 3 to 4 minutes or until the flour is aromatic and slightly golden.
- Add the flour to a large bowl (big enough to stir all contents).
- Add coconut milk powder and cardamom to the bowl. Mix thoroughly. Be sure to break up any lumps. Rub the mixture between your hands to get it well incorporated. Set aside
- Grease a pan and line with parchment paper leaving a little to hang over the sides to help lift barfi. I used a half jelly-roll pan
- For the sugar syrup, add sugar and water into a pan over high heat. Stir to dissolve. Once the syrup boils, turn your heat to medium and let boil, stirring occasionally, for approximately 7-8 minutes. Start checking your syrup at the 5-minute mark. The syrup will be 1 thread consistency or about 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115C) on a candy thermometer.
- Once your syrup is ready, start adding slowly to your milk powder mix. Do not add all the syrup at once. Start with half the syrup and mix well. If the mixture is dry, keep adding syrup and stirring until the mixture is moist and forms a hard dough.
- Quickly transfer to your prepared tray and flatten smooth. Add desired sprinkles and push into barfi using a paper towel which will help remove any oils formed on top due to the high oil content in the coconut milk powder.
- Let cool/harden at room temperature .
- To cut the pieces, dip a sharp knife into hot water and clean off knife after each cut. Let cool completely before taking out of pan.
- Enjoy :)