Aloo Machari Ke Tarkari Fiji Style | Canned Mackerel & Potato Curry
- 1 (15 oz) can Mackerel
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled & crushed
- 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Fiji or Garam Masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1-2 cups of water (or as desired)
- Remove bones from fish fillets and break up into smaller chunks if desired
- On high heat, in a heavy bottom pan, heat oil.
- Once hot add tomatoes and onions. Cook until soft (2-3 mins).
- Add crushed garlic and ginger. Cook approximately 1 minute
- Add curry leaves and all spices. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add a little water if needed
- Add potatoes and salt. Cook covered for 5 minutes
- Add fish and tamarind along with some water. Cook covered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check to see if potatoes are cooked through. Add cilantro and adjust salt as needed. Smash a few potatoes to thicken up the gravy.
- Turn off heat and serve hot with basmati rice, radishes, and green chilies if desired.