Fiji Style Gulgula | Banana Fritters | Indian Donuts
Be sure to check out my video on YouTube on how I make these! And when you do make them, share your pictures with me on social media! Now, on to the recipe!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar*
- 1-2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 Tbsp raisins, soaked in 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- saffron, few strands (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup water or milk
- Oil for frying
- Mash bananas and soak raisins.
- Mix mashed bananas, soaked raisins with water, vanilla extract, and brown sugar until well combined.
- Mix all dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients.
- Mix well and add little water at a time to form a thick pancake like batter.
- Heat oil on medium flame. You do not want the oil to be too hot.
- Scoop up some batter small cookie dough scoop or use two spoons to shape batter before dropping it into the oil. Turn frequently to ensure even browning.
- Fry until golden brown. Turn frequently to ensure even browning.
- Drain on paper towels.
Notes & tips
- Use SUPER ripe bananas if possible! They bring a wonderful sweetness to these gulgulas. You can adjust the sugar to your taste. If your bananas aren't sweet, add more sugar.
- As with most fried doughs, do a taste test by frying one gulgula to check for sweetness and spices.
- Weirdly enough, these taste fabulous with a drizzle of condensed milk!