Baigan Ke Chokha Fiji Style | Eggplant Chokha | Smoked Eggplant Dip
- 1 large eggplant (choose a big variety like Italian or Black Beauty)
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tomato
- Chili pepper to taste
- sliced onions to taste
- chopped cilantro to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Wash and dry eggplant.
- Cut slits into eggplant and push one garlic clove into each piece.
- Roast eggplant over an open flame - you use use a gas stove or a open fire grill
- Turn eggplant periodically to ensure that it is roasted evenly
- Once roasted, remove from flame
- Roast tomatoes and peppers on open flame if desired.
- Once eggplant has cooled slightly, slice the charred skin into half and scoop out the pulp into a bowl.
- Using a fork, potato masher, or your hands mash eggplant and garlic until a smooth paste is formed.
- Peel charred tomato and peppers and add to your eggplants. You may chop them if you desire. Discard any stiff/hard pieces.
- Add chopped cilantro and sliced onions and mash everything well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, mix well and serve with hot roti!